Friday, December 4, 2009

Sugar and spice




Colleen Messner is a spicy lady.

Owner of The Spice and Tea Exchange on Hypolita Street, Messner is an energetic, vivacious woman. Despite the failing economy, Messner’s spice shop is bustling, and even expanding to other cities like Ft. Worth, Texas, Asheville, N.C., Charlotte S.C. and Green Bay, Wis., among other cities.

The Spice and Tea Exchange hasn’t seen a decrease in customers, and Messner chalks it up to everyone’s love of eating good food. “We’ve seen a lot of different changes within the last year, but people always have to eat, and they’re doing a lot more cooking at home. And it’s creating a lot more family time together,” Messner said. “Why spend an outrageous amount of money on a dinner out when you can buy some special spices that will last a long time, and cook delicious, healthy food for your family and yourself? It’s a no-brainer.”

Messner does not advertise in local newspapers or magazine. She relies on word of mouth from people like Carmelo’s gas station attendant Linda Williams. Williams thinks Messner creates a special relationship with her customers. “Colleen is just a doll. She goes out of her way to be helpful to every customer that walks in the door. And it doesn’t hurt that everything here makes food so damn tasty,” said Williams.

Student Rebecca Cooper agrees that the Spice and Tea Exchange is a great store in downtown St. Augustine. “I go in there for the company because she’s so friendly. It’s always a blast. I plan on doing some major shopping in the spice shop before I go home for Christmas break to buy presents.”

By providing a 10 percent discount to all repeat customers, Messner offers an incentive to keep people coming back for more. “Some customers come in twice, three times a week. Especially my tea lovers,” Messner said. “I gotta give the people who shop here some kind of discount, just to show them that I’m thankful for having them in my life,” she said. Messner’s bubbly attitude and positive outlook on life is evident to anyone who steps inside the stop and has a conversation with her.

“We gotta keep everybody spicy. Spice is the key to life, and if you ain’t got it, you ain’t havin’ no fun.” Messner said.

The New York Daily News reports that 12,000 stores will close due to poor sales in 2009. Luckily for Messner and her loyal customers, The Spice and Tea Exchange won’t be one of them.

You can check out The Spice and Tea Exchange online at www.spiceandtea.com. The website includes recipes, as well as Gourmet Sampler Packs, Sea Salts, Teas, Gourmet Spices, Blends and Rubs among many other items.

5 comments:

  1. Love the ladies at The Spice and Tea Exchange. They truly are fabulous and have a great outlook with everyone they work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just visited this Spice & Tea Exchange on Sunday. Such a friendly atmosphere and the staff were beyond helpful. Great shop...I will be returning soon!

    P.S.- Almond Cookie is now my NEW favorite tea! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something new every time we visit. A lovely place to have fun exchanging ideas with the knowledgeable owner and her customers. I can hardly wait until we shop again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I unexpectedly visited the one in Tampa, International Mall. I loved it and was amazed the different types of tea and herb the store has. I was hoping there is a store close to were I live and sure enough there is one 35minutes from home. So I can't wait to go visit and get the berry melagne tea and try other things too. The tea is soooooo delicious cold or hot. You need to try it, Yum!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shopping at the Spice and Tea Exchange! I cleaned out my spice cupboard, and now shop as I need, and in the quantity I need. I always have fresh spices on hand thanks to the Spice and Tea Exchange.

    ReplyDelete